This Grapefruit Gimlet is an invigorating spin on the traditional cocktail, infusing a touch of bitter citrus and subtle sweetness. The combination of tart grapefruit juice and sweet grapefruit cordial makes this a lovely and refreshing cocktail.
The gin gimlet, a classic cocktail dating back to the 18th century, has undergone several modifications over the years to incorporate myriad flavors (like this ginger gimlet!)
While the classic gimlet leaned on lime cordial for a hint of sweetness, this grapefruit gin gimlet leverages grapefruit cordial to introduce a uniquely refreshing sweetness and tang. It also uses fresh grapefruit juice, so you can use simple syrup if you don't have grapefruit cordial. The grapefruit flavor will still come through, thanks to the juice, just a bit less.
Here's what you need for this Grapefruit Gimlet cocktail recipe:
- Premium London Dry Gin: Good London Dry Gin (or your favorite gin). Choose a top-quality gin whose main flavor comes from juniper berries and is devoid of artificial colors or flavors.
- Fresh grapefruit juice: Extract the juice from fresh grapefruits to achieve a tangy and invigorating flavor. I love using ruby red grapefruit over yellow grapefruit. It's a little sweeter and more well-rounded.
- Grapefruit cordial or simple syrup: Grapefruit cordial brings even more grapefruit flavor, and some sweetness. You can use simple syrup if you don't have grapefruit cordial or even a flavored syrup like sage simple syrup or thyme syrup.
- Ice cubes.
- Grapefruit slice for serving.
- Cocktail shaker or a tall jar with a lid + a strainer
- Coupe glass or a rocks glass
Combine the gin, fresh grapefruit juice, grapefruit cordial, and ice cubes in a cocktail shaker.
Ensure the lid is securely fastened, and shake the mixture vigorously to chill the drink.
Discard the ice from the coupe glass and strain the Grapefruit Gimlet into the chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with a slice or grapefruit wedge.
- If you prefer a slightly different citrus profile, replace grapefruit cordial with lime cordial. Lime brings its own unique tanginess while still complementing the grapefruit.
- Other flavors: You can use different herbs to infuse the cordial. Consider using a sprig of rosemary or mint to create unique flavor profiles.
- Sugar rim: For an added touch of sweetness, rim the glass with sugar. Run a slice of grapefruit along the edge of the glass, then dip it into a small plate of sugar.
- Vodka gimlets: If gin isn't your choice, you can easily transform this cocktail into a vodka grapefruit gimlet by replacing the gin with your preferred vodka.
- 2oz / 60ml London Dry gin
- 2oz / 60ml Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice
- ½ oz / 15ml Grapefruit Cordial or Simple Syrup
- Grapefruit slice to garnish
- Fill a couple glass with ice to chill it.
- Combine the gin, fresh grapefruit juice, grapefruit cordial, and ice cubes in a cocktail shaker.
- Ensure the lid is securely fastened, and shake the mixture vigorously to chill the drink.
- Discard the ice from the coupe glass and strain the Grapefruit Gimlet into the chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a slice of grapefruit.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 0g