A delightful blend of ingredients with an intriguing name, the 'Suffering Bastard' cocktail is regarded as a classic hangover cure.
First made up at Cairo's Shepheard Hotel by bartender Joe Scialom, this drink was the go-to remedy for second world war British troops battling hangovers and unhappy with the local booze.
The original Suffering Bastard used brandy, but as it goes with popular drinks, the recipe got tweaked, often swapping in bourbon for brandy. Joe played around with the drink, coining "Dying Bastard" for a bourbon twist and "Dead Bastard" when rum joined the party.
In the 1960s, the Suffering Bastard embraced the Tiki drink trend. Many recipes from that era, including a famous one by Trader Vic, started championing rum, complemented by notes of orgeat and curaçao liqueur. The Mai Tai, also a renowned tiki drink, shares some common ingredients, though it showcases a different taste. profile.
Here's what you need for the suffering bastard recipe:
- London Dry Gin
- Bourbon (or use brandy or light rum.)
- Angostura bitters
- Fresh lime juice
- Ginger beer - This can be substituted for ginger ale
- Fresh mint sprig and orange slice for garnish
Fill a cocktail shaker with a handful of ice.
Add in gin, bourbon, fresh lime juice, and a dash of bitters. Shake well.
Strain into an ice-filled highball glass, old-fashioned glass or bustard mug.
Top with ginger beer.
Garnish with an orange wheel and a sprig of mint.
More bourbon cocktails
- 1oz / 30ml London Dry Gin
- 1oz / 30ml Bourbon
- 1 oz / 30ml Fresh Lime Juice
- Dash of Angostura bitters
- 4 oz / 120ml Ginger beer, more or less according to taste
- Mint and orange slice for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with a handful of ice.
- Add in gin, bourbon, fresh lime juice, and a dash of bitters.
- Shake well.
- Strain into an ice-filled highball glass.
- Top with ginger beer.
- Garnish with an orange wheel and a sprig of mint.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 16gProtein: 0g