An old-fashioned cocktail is a classic, made with whiskey, sugar, bitters, and a citrus twist. It's aromatic and smooth, perfect for sipping.
Find the ingredient amounts for this Bourbon Old Fashioned written in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here is a rundown of what you will need.
- Bourbon. Bourbon is a great choice for an old-fashioned. It has a caramel-like flavor and smoother mouthfeel than other whiskys.
- Angostura bitters. This adds the bitter taste and is balanced out by the sweetness of the sugar.
- Sugar. Granulated sugar (or use a simple syrup)
- Orange peel. Peel it with the pith. This adds a nice touch of bitterness too.
- Ice cubes.
See the recipe card for quantities.
- An old-fashioned glass
- A cocktail jigger or measuring utensils.
It's simple to make and can be done in minutes.
Add water, sugar, and bitters to an old-fashioned glass. Use a cocktail stirrer to mix until most of the sugar has dissolved.
Add in ice and pour over bourbon. Stir.
Twist the orange peel over the top of the drink to express the oils. Add the peel to the glass.
Serve immediately and enjoy.
- Swap Bourbon for another whisky. Bourbon is a distinct American whisky made in the United States and is made with 51% corn and aged in new, charred-oak barrels. Using a different whisky usually has a grainier and sharper taste than Bourbon.
- Swap Bourbon for Gin. This makes a Gin Old-Fashioned.
- Add amaretto. This makes an Almond Old-Fashioned.
More cocktail recipes
For more delicious cocktails, try these recipes
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters (plus more to taste)
- 60ml / 2oz good-quality bourbon
- Orange peel
- Add water, sugar, and bitters to an old-fashioned glass. Use a cocktail stirrer to mix until most of the sugar has dissolved.
- Add in ice and pour over bourbon. Stir.
- Twist the orange peel over the top of the drink to express the oils. Add the peel to the glass.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 0g