This pretty cardamom margarita is flavored with homemade cardamom simple syrup. This fun twist brings subtle spice and sweetness to the margarita.
A margarita is a great classic cocktail consisting of Tequila, Cointreau or triple sec, and lime juice.
This cardamom version brings subtle extra flavor and color to a classic drink. It uses a homemade cardamom simple syrup, also used in this cardamom martini.
Find the ingredient amounts for this margarita written in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here is a rundown of what you will need.
- Cardamom simple syrup. It's very easy to make your own cardamom simple syrup. Just make it ahead of time so it has time to cool.
- Tequila. Use your favorite variety.
- Triple sec. This alcohol provides a sweet orange-flavor. This can be substituted with Cointreau.
- Fresh Lime juice - Use fresh lime juice, not bottled if possible. A lime is added to cut the sweetness of the margarita.
- Orange peel. Used for garnish. Traditionally, it might be garnished with a lime but orange ties in nicely with the triple sec and the cardamom syrup.
- Ice cubes.
See the recipe card for quantities.
- A cocktail shaker or a tall jar with a lid + a strainer
- Old fashioned glass.
Before you begin this cardamom margarita, make the simple syrup first so it is cooled to room temperature before use.
To a cocktail shaker, add the Tequila, Triple sec, cardamom simple syrup, ice and lime juice.
Add on the lid and shake for 15 seconds until it is thoroughly chilled.
Rub a lime wedge or orange wedge along the edge of the glass and dip it into salt.
Fill the glass with ice and then strain over the drink.
Garnish with orange peel and serve.
- Lemon instead of lime. Swap the lime juice for fresh lemon juice. Though they have similar flavor profiles, lemon will still bring different hints of citrus.
- Other simple syrups. A margarita can be made using other simple syrups too.
- Different glass. You could serve this in a traditional margarita cocktail glass if you prefer.
- Frozen margarita. Blend the ingredients with extra ice to create a frozen margarita.
More cocktail recipes
For more delicious cocktails, try these recipes
- Thyme gimlet
- Bourbon apple cocktail
- Elderflower gin sour
- Blueberry sage cocktail
- Blueberry gin sour
- Raspberry gin sour
- 1½ oz (45ml) tequila
- 1 oz (30ml) Triple sec or Cointreau
- 1 oz (30ml) cardamom simple syrup
- ¾ oz (20ml) freshly-squeezed lime juice
- lime wedge and coarse salt for rimming the glass
- Orange peel or lime for garnish
- To a cocktail shaker, add the Tequila, Triple sec, cardamom simple syrup, ice, and lime juice.
- Add on the lid and shake for 15 seconds until it is thoroughly chilled.
- Rub a lime wedge or orange wedge along the edge of the glass and dip it into salt.
- Fill the glass with ice, then strain over the drink.
- Garnish with orange peel and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 587mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 23gProtein: 1g