This cardamom simple syrup is sweet and flavorful. It has a subtle and delicate cardamom seed flavor to make delicious spiced cocktails or mocktails.
A simple syrup is exactly what it sounds like - Simple, and it's a syrup. It's made of a mixture of water and sugar and, in this case, the addition of cardamom spice and orange.
This homemade cardamom simple syrup is perfect to make cocktails with, such a cardamom margarita.
Find the simple ingredients for this cardamom simple syrup in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here is a rundown of what you will need.
- Green cardamom pods. These are what will be infused into the simple syrup. There is some added during the cooking process, and some more after to bring out more of the spicy notes of cardamom.
- Orange. Orange is a perfect partner to floral cardamom.
- White sugar. Granulated cane sugar. You could use raw sugar, or pure cane sugar but avoid light brown sugar, which will change the flavor. The amount of sugar is large but remember, it's syrup and meant to be sweet.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Extra additions - There are lots of flavors that go well with cardamom. To make a more in-depth syrup, add a vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, star anise and whole cloves. The warm notes of clove and cinnamon are wonderful with cardamom.
A simple syrup
The sugar-to-water ratio in simple syrup is equal parts water and sugar.
This is often measured in volume - 1 cup sugar with 1 cup water. Volume is less consistent than measuring in weight (there is 40g more water than sugar in a cup), but it doesn't make much difference in a recipe like this.
- Small saucepan
- Muslin cloth
- Glass bowl
- Glass jar
Here's how to make this cardamom syrup recipe.
Pound the cardamom pods to release their flavor.
In a small saucepan, combine half the cardamom, sugar, orange peel and water.
Place the saucepan over medium heat. Let the mixture come to a simmer and stir until the sugar dissolves.
Take it off the heat, stir through the remaining cardamom pods, and take in that beautiful floral scent.
Let the cardamom steep in the syrup for an hour.
Balance a fine mesh strainer and cloth over a bowl and tip in the mixture.
A cloth will remove all the cardamom pods and seeds to make an extra clear syrup. Let it drain completely.
Pour the syrup into a clean glass jar or another airtight container.
Leftover syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Pro tip - Pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it, so you have individual servings!
Flavored simple syrup can be made with various fruits, spices, and herbs!
- Raspberry simple syrup
- Rosemary simple syrup
- Blueberry simple syrup
- Blue Curacao syrup
- Cream of coconut
- Honey lavender simple syrup
Ways to this homemade syrup
- In a summer cocktail or mixed drinks: cardamom simple syrup can be used to sweeten and flavor the perfect cocktail or mocktail. Use it to make cardamom lemonade or margarita (with plenty of ice). It makes a delicious cardamom martini too, or as an addition to apple martinis.
- Simple syrup can also brush on cake layers to keep them moist.
- Add it to your iced coffee, morning coffee or chai tea.
Simple syrup like this can be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.
The syrup can be frozen for up to 3 months for long-term storage.
- 25 green cardamom seed pods
- 1 sliver of orange peel
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Pound the cardamom pods in a mortar and pestle to release their flavor.
- In a small saucepan, combine half the cardamom pods (around 12 pods), sugar, orange peel, and water.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat. Let the mixture come to a simmer and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Take it off the heat and stir through the remaining cardamom pods.
- Let the cardamom steep in the syrup for an hour.
- Balance a fine-mesh strainer and cloth over a bowl and tip in the cardamom simple syrup mixture.
- Pour the cardamom syrup into a clean glass jar or another airtight container.
- Leftover syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 80Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 20gProtein: 0g